quinta-feira, maio 01, 2008

Cornered


Something happens when you are cornered into some messy situation. Now, I'm talking about the kind of situation where you have nothing to lose. I've seen it happen often to other people, and I was in the same kind of situation just over 2 years ago.

At the time, I didn't even had a home to live in. I wasn´t living on the street due to family help. With a mother and a sister I felt where my responsability to take care of, the strugle within was enormous. I felt like I had to carve a way through the jungle with one hand and pull them with the other, trying to keep us together. To make things worse, I was trapped in a course that was nearly over, after 2 years of studying. I would lose my diploma if I quited, and I was in desperate need for money.

I was lucky enough to have people that helped me out. It's Xmas and I'm thinking of people that don't have such luck. What if I was one of those people back then?

I struggled as far as I could, made all kind of efforts, and now I have a little more to show for. The kind of obligations I commited myself to, keep me working to maintain and get ahead. But taking two steps back in my memories, I remember another time when I couldn't accept failure, simply because it wasn't an option. I had commited to the most important person in my life, and I had to honour her sacrifice. And I did what seemed impossible to me at the time. I set my own pace, burned up my eye lashes studying as hard as I could. I made it happen. And it made me feel special. I knew then that I was able to do things. More importantly, I had proven myself capable.

I was just watching Oprah, and some stories came up about people that had lost everything. I'm not talking about a bank account. It's actually loosing everything, and still be found in a huge debt. What do you do when you find yourself in that kind of situation, a woman with 2 kids to take care of? This was the most moving case presented. Wanna know what happens? Everything changes perspective. You sacrifice every little thing that most of us take for granted. Being with your kids becomes a luxury that you sometimes can't have. You love them so much that you sacrifice energies and time with them to provide for them. Like my mother did when I needed help. Like I did for her when she needed some solid ground. When we suceed, we suceed together. Until then, we are cornered together and fighting for a way out. Even when you feel cornered, love for life or for someone else will get you through. All we need is to keep believing, and at the end of each day, count our blessings so we never forget how lucky we actually are.