quinta-feira, maio 01, 2008

The Old Spirit


I've come to the acquaintance of someone that's extraordinary. We have talked over an hour or so, and in that time, this gentleman has shown me that he deserves to be called extraordinary. Why? It seems little time to have such a certainty over someone. It was enough, though, to realize that he has that old spirit most of us have as children, and that so few keep as they grow up. A willing to learn, eyes that shine has new stuff is brought to his knowledge, and the humanity to share it.

This guy, a man in his 50's with a respectable belly, is a teacher that struggles to keep his students motivated and provide them with experiences that will constitute tools in their lives, professional and private. Although he has little experience in some areas, he steals time from his family and friends to find out how stuff works, and bring it to his students. This man has a heart that moved me, and that put a shine in my eyes for having found another soul that shares the same interests I do.

Lack of support from the school board, unmotivated students and constantly being mistreated by the education ministry has made many teachers throw the towel and lower their arms. I sensed a different fiber in this man. And for that, he seems to be one of the heroes that wander around unnoticed by most, and that do make a difference.

I have had teachers like that, some have made a lasting impression in me, and a few of those have become good friends. And those have added something to my life, important things. Things that were more than academic knowledge, things that are part of the man I am today.

They say that the difference between a child and a man is the cost of their toys. The Chinese wish their friends that they live in interesting times. Well, in all of mankind's history, there probably were no more interesting times than the ones we live now. We are only bored if we chose to be. Our lives are so surrounded by knowledge, the access to it has probably never been so easy, that what limits us is basically lack of interest due to lack of imagination.

I can't deny my will to help this man achieve his goals. I would have no reward other than my own satisfaction in achieving new knowledge and helping someone getting ahead. I think I will probably dig in my old projects and find out if some of them are interesting and simple enough for the students. Hopefully, we can make something of it, and just maybe... someone else gets a shine in their eyes. After all, Xmas is the time to expect small miracles. Could it be that I can manage to give a present to a man that devotes his live to sharing knowledge? Once I thought that a smile was my reward for offering someone a gift. Now I see that I was a bit off. What you really give is a reason to smile, and the smile is the gift you present others.

Never mind if you are loaded with money, or your wallet is dry as a bone. Happiness is something that bypasses material possessions, if you are not materialistic yourself.

My GF likes to offer presents and she lives Xmas as a time of joy. I myself, am more discrete. What really gives me pleasure is to sit by the fire, playing chess over a nice conversation and a glass of red wine. To gather the people we love under one roof and enjoy each other. It's not about the presents or the food. It's about family and love. And first of all, I need to feel that. After, the rest might be welcome, but the essential has to come first.

Have a happy Xmas everybody, and keep fanning the flames of that old spirit.